Saturday, February 28, 2009

Fighting for the Next Generation....Transformation in Myself


I can remember when we first moved to Austin. Sally was just a few months old. Everything had just changed as I knew it. My mother had passed away, sally was born, stew had a new job, we left memphis where all my mentors where and moved into an apartment in Austin TX. Things were a little "out of my control". Change was reality in every sense.

Some of my past struggles with anorexia began to come up again. That scared me so much. How could I be so weak and turn back to my old ways and still pursue ahead with strength in all that was so new?

2 Corinthains 12:9
But he said to me, "My grace (my unmerited love for you alone) is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness."

I remember one night going back in to check on sally as she slept....as I looked over her, I was overwhelmed with the role of being a mother....I knew that both sins and beliefs can be passed down to generations and in that moment I whispered to her..."I will fight for you, sweet girl." What I meant by that was that I was going to fight against the weaknesses of my generation...and seek the Lord to destroy the idols that I had in my own hand....to fight against my anorexia temptations was no longer about me....it was about my children...about a new generation.

The internal working of my heart is given great motivation when i realize that I am not just wanting to change for me, but to let Him change a whole new generation through me....my daily battle with sin and the growth and change that happens within me that leads me to Believe God in all things, for all things effects my children...effects a new generation.


psalm 78
We will not hide them from their children,
but tell to the coming generation
the glorious deeds of the LORD, and his might,
and the wonders that he has done.

6that the next generation might know them,
the children yet unborn,
and arise and tell them to their children,
7so that they should set their hope in God
and not forget the works of God,


Being a parent can be scary...especially when you begin to see your sin...but it is through the process of seeing our sin, turning to God and rejoicing in His work for our lives, that transformation will happen...and with transformation, new things will arise for the next generation...old things will be gone and new things will arise...for Him!

So what are some of the things in our home, we are seeking not to pass along to our children? What are the things we do want to pass along? More later....

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you, Kimberly! Amen! And...I will ponder those questions with my sweet husband tonight on our date night! Great conversations!

Leah said...

What a good word, Kimberly. Thanks for sharing!

Spirit of Adoption said...

I Love you, sister! I just love you! Thank you for sharing. Amen, Amen, and AMEN!!!! Praise be to God for His all sufficient grace!!!!!! We will fight TOGETHER for the joy of our husbands, our children, our grandchildren, and the people God places in our life! Only together, in fellowship, and by GRACE through faith! To God be the glory!

Anonymous said...

Hello,

We haven't had the chance to meet but my husband and I go to the Stone and I came across your blog through a series of others. I just wanted to thank you for writing this and being so honest. I struggled with an eating disorder for most of my high school and college years and even still see signs of it popping it up in my life. Now that my husband and I have decided to start trying to have a baby I've had those fears that I will pass that on to my child. That's always been a concern of mine and my prayer is for strength to keep walking away from those old habits. Thank you for sharing.