Thursday, August 30, 2007

IRRESISTIBLE REVOLUTION by Shane Claiborne

One of my mentor's gave me this book. This is another "fork in the road" of my walk with Jesus. There have been times in my walk where God puts something in my life to give me such a clear picture of Himself that it causes me to say again, "YES! I will follow YOU!" and this is one of those books. It is a must read. But beware...it will mess you up!! It is all about believers needing to be followers of Christ, not religious people...and how God is found in the poor, the oppressed, the dying and outcasts...It tells his story of what God is doing in His life and the life of others. He serves in an innercity in Philly. the simple way ministries

Stew and I's heart has been absolutely wrecked with God's truth and call to serve the poor in the last 3 months. We are seeking to adjust our lives to reflect that...We want to stop talking and meeting about being Christians and start being followers of Christ! Their is a stirring going on in our body at the Austin Stone....who knows what God is doing in Austin! It may not be safe, but we know it will be good!

"We can admire and worship Jesus without doing what he did. We can applaud what he preached and stood for without caring about the same things. We can adore his cross without taking up ours....I had come to see that the great tragedy in the chruch is not that rich Christains do not care about the poor but that rich Christians do not know the poor." pg. 113

1 comment:

Spirit of Adoption said...

Consider it done! All you said got me SO excited to read this book!!! We too have been stirred this way more and more. SO GOOD that your church is being stirred....then there's more accountability AND encouragement! Praise the LORD!!!! Can't wait to see what the Lord does in Austin!!!!! Keep writing about it and sharing how the Lord is stirring! He's using ya'll!